Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Removing Wax from Old Candle Holders & Removing Price Tags from Glass

Hello friends!!  I hope your week is going great!!  All is good here :)

Today I want to share two really cool tricks that I just learned that really work!! 

So....I know that I've mentioned before HERE how much I love Bath and Bodyworks Candles.....they are awesome!!  They smell SO good and last forever!!

BUT....my only complaint (which really isn't the candles fault)....what to do with the candle when it's done all it can do.....and you're left with this....


Gah!!  I DO NOT WANT TO THROW THIS AWAY!!  We are big recyclers here....but they won't take anything with "stuff" still in it.....so that's out....

And these jars are actually quite pretty and could be used for other purposes.....but how do you get that wax out???

Well......now I know.....and it's super easy!!

First just pop those babies into the freezer.....



Yeah....yeah.....my freezer is a mess.....don't judge.....K......

And let the wax freeze....I left mine overnight.....here's what they'll look like when they come out of the freezer....


And....next....comes the magic......well.....magic might be stretching it a bit.....but.....still it's pretty cool....

Take a butter knife and push it into the wax.....please be careful and don't cut yourself or break the glass.....


The wax will crack.....


Then keep pushing the knife in different spots....causing the wax to crack.....


Then simply use your knife to lift up each piece.....the pieces will come out CLEAN!! 


Leaving almost NO WAX BEHIND!!  YAHOO!!


Side note....if by chance the wick doesn't completely come out with the wax (I had this happen once)....then you would just run a razor blade underneath the wick to get it to separate from the glass....the wick is sometimes stuck to the glass with some sort of adhesive that keeps it from coming out with the wax.....but it comes out really easily with the razor blade......

Next use a paper towel to wipe out any waxy haze or soot from the glass.....

Now give it a quick wash with soap and water....to remove any residual soot and also to loosen the labels and price tags on the glass....and then dry.....

Next remove the labels.....



The easiest way to do this is to peel with patience!!  The label on the side of the candle came off very easily, but the one on the bottom was a bit more difficult.....sort of like a price tag on the glass of a picture frame.....ugh....I hate those.....

But again.....peel with patience and most of it will come off in one piece.....but if all the stickiness doesn't come off......then......

Again.....are you ready for the magic??

It's so simple.....just put a bit of rubbing alcohol on your finger and rub it over the stickiness....after a couple rubs it will just rub right off.....seriously....it's THAT easy :) 

I'm pretty sure that this method should work to take off the stickiness from any sticker, price tag, label, etc from glass.....


The last thing to do is to shine up the lid a bit.....just take a paper towel and rub it over the lid really well....it will easily remove fingerprints, etc.....


AND......drum roll please.....after just a couple of minutes work.....this beauty is ready for it's next purpose.....


Cool and SUPER EASY :)

And one last Before and After shot.....


I now have three of these ready to go and I've got big plans for them.....I'm just waiting on one little thing.....but once they've found their final resting place I'll be sure to show you guys.....

So.....I'm curious....have any of you guys done this before?  Did you know that you could remove wax this way?

I definitely didn't and was thrilled to try it out and see that it worked SO well!!

Well....better run.....

Until next time.....

XOXO-
Kristal

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

excellent post, very informative. I wonder why the other experts of this sector do not notice this. You must continue your writing. Im confident, you have a great readers base already!

Kristal @ Engineering Life and Style said...

Anonymous (I wish I knew your name)-
Thanks SO much!! I really needed your kind words today!! They really made my day :)

Kristal

Anonymous said...

Hello,
This is a great tutorial! I also have a tip for you to try out on those nasty stickers. Use a hair blower and aim it right at the sticker, let it get good and hot, then just peel it off. The heat melts the adhiesive! so easy :)

Kristal @ Engineering Life and Style said...

Anonymous (I wish I knew your name)-

Thank you SO much!! And thanks for your tip....I'll have to give that a try!!

Kristal

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...